We were delighted to be announced as winners of round #101 in the photo roulette competition by Adam and Hannah from StreetFoodWorldTour.com.
The theme was “Epic” and here’s our winning photo:
As a result of winning the previous round, it’s now our duty to host round #102
The theme we’re choosing is: LANDSCAPES!
The reasons why we’re choosing this as the theme are:
1. It’s not been chosen in any of the previous rounds
2. We bloody love landscape photography
So we’d love to see your favourite landscape photos. It doesn’t matter if it was taken around your home town, or in some far flung location.
Entries for this round will close on Monday 18th May 9pm EST
Here are two examples of two landscape photos that we took recently:
Leave a comment below with a link to your photo (WP, Flickr, Trover, etc) and tell us why you’ve picked this specific landscape photo.
We Travel Together
This photo stuck out for us personally as we love extremely isolated landscapes. This photo captures a sense of desertion and isolation brilliantly. So we’ve picked this photo as our winner for round #102.
Thanks to everyone who participated and we look forward to the round #103!
Travel Photo Roulette Rules & Guidelines
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted in this round.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.” Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
Entries must be submitted by Monday 18th May 9pm EST and the winner will be announced a day or two later.
Continue checking back throughout the week as I will keep this post updated with the entries as they come in.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Trover and StumbleUpon so more people can join the contest – make sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
Entry #1: Zara from Backpack Me
“As if Norway wasn’t already a land of marvelous landscapes, when the night is dark and the temperatures freezing.. one may be lucky enough to see the Aurora Borealis dance upon us in the sky. This is what the landscape around Tromso looks like during winter, when the Northern Lights come and pay a visit!
This photo was taken from our article “How to spot the Northern Lights on your own”
Entry #2: Lance from Travel Addicts
“Our pick is the glacial lagoon of Jökulsárlón in Iceland’s Vatnajökull National Park. The lagoon is like no other place on the planet. As the glacier receded from the Atlantic Ocean, it has left a massive lake filled with icebergs that clang and rub against each other. This was one of our favorite sites in Iceland!”
Entry #3: From We Travel Together
Our pic is from Deadvlei in Namibia, such a fascinating place on this beautiful mother earth. The trees are estimated to be approximately 900 years old.
Entry #4: Brent from Brentsfavoritephotos
“I spend a couple days exploring the Palouse. This is my favorite shot of the weekend of the Heidenreich Dairy Barn just outside Colfax, Washington.”
Entry #5: Daniel from Globe Trekking
“With so many beautiful places in the world it was really quite hard to choose just one photo, but nothing beats the raw beauty of mountains. One of my most memorable hikes was through Monte Fitz Roy in the Argentina. Absolutely breathtaking!”
Entry #6: Hannah from Getting Stamped
“This photo was taken at Spitzkoppe, Namibia which was the campsite for the night on our 43 day overland safari. One of our favorite campsites to date, and here we are back in Africa as I enter #PhotoRoulette and we will be back at Spitzkoppe at the end of June on yet another African overland safari”.
Entry #7: Juergen from Dare2Go
“In the south of tropical green Colombia, near the town of Neiva, you find a unique desert called Tatacoa Desert. It’s small in size, since only this limited section of land receives below average rain. The erosion and colours remind very much of the south-west of the USA, Utah or Arizona. There are camping facilities and an observatory to visit. Neiva is on route from Bogota to San Agustin, a popular destination.”
Entry #8: Noel from Travel Photo Discovery
“Love your challenge, my submission is the last image of this post on Lake Bled in Slovenia during the fall time. Really you can’t take a bad picture in this location”.
Entry #9: Josie from House Sitting Travel
“My landscape was taken in Michigan on a walk, this one at dawn. It was early spring and the warmth of the sun conjured up a patch of fog. The swamp in the foreground was ripe with peepers and a hunting heron squawked as he flew from a nearby big oak tree”.
Entry #10: Carole from Travels with Carole
“After riding an Icelandic horse at their stables, I enjoyed afternoon tea with the owners in their home at Skorrastaour farm in the valley of Nordfjordur in northeast Iceland. On the menu were sunshine pancakes—crepes served with blueberry preserves and whipped cream—and round donut-hole-like love balls. The pancakes are served to celebrate the return of the sun after a sunless few months that occur here every winter. This is was the scenic view from the dining room window”.
Entry #11: Melissa from Linguist On The Move
“This one is from the Whitsunday Islands in Australia, which I visited after diving the Great Barrier Reef. This was hands-down the most beautiful beach I’ve ever seen and one of my favorite landscape shots.”
Here’s the list of the previous 99 Rounds of the Travel Photo Roulette contest. Be sure to check out these other amazing photographers/bloggers and photos!
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011 Shutterfeet Storytelling
- Apr 2011 10 Times One Piousness
- Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies Architecture
- Jun 2011 Destination World Transportation
- Jun 2011 Living the Dream Paradise
- Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest Clothes
- Jul 2011 The Unframed World Symmetry
- Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo Home
- Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One Depth of the Field
- Not hosted anymore
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat Local Character
- Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies Patterns
- Apr 2013 Living the Dream Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013 The GypsyNester Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013 Boomeresque Revolution
- Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet? Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50 Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole Umbrellas
- Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014 20 Years Hence The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014 Two for the Road Into the Wild
- Jul 2014 TurtlesTravel Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth The 4 Element
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ Viewpoint
- Jan 2015 Adventures of a GoodMan WOW!
- Jan 2015 ZigZag On Earth Roads and Tracks
- Feb 2015 Where’s The Gos? Street Art
- Mar 2015 Ice Cream and Perma Frost Frozen
- Mar 2015 Journey Jottings Detail
- April 2015 House Sitting Travel What’s your Angle?
- April 2015 JetWayz Spiritual Beauty
- April 2015 The Trading Travelers Celebrate
- May 2015 Street Food World Tour Epic